Monday, February 7, 2011

Do we speak like they do in dramas and movies?

I couldn't help but wonder, in real life do Malays speak like they do in movies ? Seriously! I dread watching Malay movies, I bought Magika but I don't feel the urge yet because I'm so afraid that I'd be disappointed. The last movie I watched in full was Adnan Sempit which I think a so-so movie with a lot of slapstick not-funny-too-acting-acting comedy and drama. Everytime Aku Masih Dara the trailer is on tv, I end up pressing the mute button. This hot girl got an invitation to a party and everybody drinks. Even though she's kinda wild, she's still a virgin you know! Awwww....how shweeet. The story is about repentant, which I don't have any problem with, but the dialog.... OMG!!!! How corny can you be???? People DO NOT talk like that in real life, for God's sake! Last week Selamat Pagi Cinta starring Que Haidar was on tv but I abandoned it halfway because my ears bled. I know Pierre wanted to make the script as romantic as ever or simply put jiwang gila, it left me with are-you-freaking-kidding-me- moment. The fact is, I am hungry for a good Malay movie. Critics say Hantu Kak Limah Balik Rumah and Estet are good movies, I have to scout for these two but I kind of saw the trailer of the former on Astro and I am not convinced just yet. 


On the contrary, I salute Gemilang directed by Khabir Bhatia. The acting of Naim Danial is absolutely brilliant and fantastic! The script is clever and the story line connects us as viewers. We don't have to appear stupid all the time with slapstick comedy or in fact we don't have to be funny or really sad all the time. There are other movie genre which we haven't explored yet. Our actors don't have to ACT to act. Scripts have to be believable. Story line must be there. Most of the characters in Malay movies are so stereotypical and cliche. A rock chic must walk like a man and dress like an 80s rock star has-been. Students have to wear glasses and have two pony tails. And worse of all, the comic relief always acting stupidly along the movie.


Acting is not for everybody. You can't just point someone and ask him or her to act. Go to acting school or at least you must have talents and build your talents.  Movies mould society, they give us an identity, they represent us as a society. Empat Madu - really??? Dua Hati Satu Jiwa - really? really? Hooperz - Kah kah kah!!! Niyang Rapik, Ngangkung, KL Drift, etc etc.-- our society is like this?  Sometimes I don't know what's in the mind of our movie makers. I watched Papadom with my husband and while the storyline was okay, the execution was rather poor with Afdlin's acting that I found main-main. If you want your audience to feel your emotions, carry it through, not making jokes in the middle of serious moments. I love watching Cinta,  that movie is excellent and a tearjerker. 


Don't get me wrong, I am not a serious person, I love Dumb and Dumber and my favorite DVD collection is 10 seasons of Friends. I just think Malay movies need serious improvements in various aspects including costume. Observe our culture more, we might get it spot-on one day. The best acting is to deliver it nonchalantly. 


Coming back to my earlier question, do we speak like they (actors) do in movies and dramas? 


"Biarlah Jah menderita asalkan kebahagian milik abang" - Wth??

Isteri: "Abang pergi mana tadi balik lambat?" 
Suami: "Abang pergi pejabat, yang."
Isteri: "Apa??? Pergi pejabat balik lambat?!!!" - Seriously?


"Buat pengetahuan kau, aku dah cuba untuk menelefon ramai orang bertanyakan tentang kau tapi usaha aku gagal"  - Betul ke ni, cakap mcm ni. 


Don't be pretentious, just be ourselves and the movies will do just fine. I hope. One day. 

2 comments:

  1. Pengsan dengan dialog melampau mereka ituh... sile reveal ape dlm bag LV mu yang berat itu ye

    ReplyDelete
  2. apakah soalan kamu itu cik pancake?kamu nak tahu apa ada dalam beg LV ku? Nanti ku tuliskan.

    ReplyDelete