Thursday, February 10, 2011

Book Shopping: Buy These Books!!

I love reading and I wish I had more time to read. Recently, I finished a few great books which I highly recommend to anybody who fancies reading. 

The Help by Kathryn Stockett is my first choice. When I started reading this book, I was taken aback by the grammar and soon realized that she writes in African American's language. I was instantly hooked and finished the book in one and a half day. The Help provides an illustrative tale to the lives of the black maids during the 1960s when the black community were still discriminated against and the stories took place in Jackson, Mississippi. The characters in The Help are very interesting! This novel made me realized how far America has changed in 50 years, from slavery to having the first black president in history, America is definitely a land of opportunity. 


Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern is definitely not suitable for kids but at the same time provides great advise about life in the most vulgar ways. Justin Halpern lost her job and her girlfriend at the age of 28, and found himself back in the house of his parents. This book is a super hilarious memoir of him with his father, Sam Halpern who spits out obscenity constantly. But underneath all the cursing and swearing, there are a lot of good things to be learned and the fact that his father loves him so dearly is not to be challenged in this book. 


The Mother's Tale by Camilla Noli. Don't pick up this book if you have a weak heart. Don't get fool by the cover. This is one sick story about a mother who doesn't really love her children. A very surprising ending. 


For the uninitiated, Nicholas Sparks is the writer of The Notebook, The Last Song, etc. I love The Notebook movie starring Ryan Gosling which prompted me to pick up this book. Safe Haven is definitely not a story about safe haven. :) A woman appears in a  town to bury her story only to find out that one day that story would surface. A pretty good read I would say.


Mastering The Art of  French Cooking by Julia Child is a must-have if you like anything with butter. I had tried the roasted chicken and it's DEH LISH!  A lot of tips to be learned by mommies and aspiring chefs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment