Thursday, February 17, 2011

Children Have Hearts -- If You Hadn't Noticed This Fact

I heart you

I am blessed to have a child. She's the best thing that has ever happened in my life. Every time I look at her, I couldn't believe my luck. She's a bonus and perfect in every way possible. I'm her mother, this is how I feel. I'm not a perfect mother to her but I'm striving to be because I want her to get the best out of life, I want her to be happy, I want her life to turn out exactly the way she wants it to be. We, my husband and I, are trying our best to be awesome parents for Tia, no matter what. 


The thing that most adults do not seem to notice is the fact that children have feelings, they have hearts. Yeah, they cry, yes they laugh, of course they shout because they are kids. Yes it's true... but the better way to put it, is because they have hearts that could feel. Words could hurt, believe me. We (adults) should know better than that. I had witnessed many instances where adults did not seem to care about how the kids feel at all. Oh... they are just kids! You think?!! What if I say the same things to you. My husband taught me the importance to respect our kid since she was very young. It doesn't mean that we give her whatever she wants whenever she wants it... it's about listening to what she has to say and providing an answer and action if necessary. To let her know that she matters. We lead by example and hopefully Tia is respectful to us throughout our lives. 


One day Tia came back from the babysitter's house and asked me was she fat? I was shocked to learn that she's concerned about this topic. I don't wanna be fat, I like a slim body, she told me. Well I do too but kids shouldn't worry about this issue at all! She's just 7 and.... not fat at all. Was it fun to poke fun at children? "Kau cantik ke?"... "Kau tak cantiklah..." "Eleh.. perasan lah tu..." Don't you ever tell any kids that she/he is not pretty. That would tear her apart inside. I was told that fact when I was young and it took me years to regain my self confidence. I'm not crazy beautiful but everybody is pretty in a unique way. It's just unfair to make fun of things you couldn't change. Every girl loves pink and wants to be a princess and please respect that. 


Don't compare your kids just because you can. Don't embarrass your children just because you can. Don't embarrass any kids just because you can. If you are the kind of people who are not fond of kids, leave them alone. They have hearts, they know how you feel about them and this feeling stays with them for years. I had seen cases where kids were called idiots, slapped in public, scolded in front of people, and parents please... this has got to stop. These kids have hearts, and these small hearts would grow larger and the seed that you plant today will grow into something nasty in the future. 


Everything starts at home. We are the parents. We should be their rock in anyway possible. They should know in their minds and their hearts that they could turn to us for anything, even if it hurts. Tell your kids that you love them and be there when they need you. InsyaAllah, they will grow up as wholesome adults. 

No comments:

Post a Comment