Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Aftershock, The Great Chinese Movie & Jay Chou Better Stay in Chinese Movie

My husband told me that he's going to watch a movie about earthquake. I suppose he'd told me earlier about this movie but my mind works in a mysterious way. I was picturing a documovie about an earthquake in China so I was feeling so-so about it. 10 mins into the movie I was hooked. 30 minutes into the movie, I had a box of tissue on my lap and as the movie went on, I was a mess! A mother was made to choose between saving her son or her daughter and losing the other. And she chose the son, believing that the daughter was dead. The Great Tangshan Earthquake of 1976 took the lives of nearly a quarter of a million Chinese and this movie's premise is the life after that quake. The injured girl woke up to find her father dead besides her and that her mother and brother had abandoned her. She's adopted by an army couple who didn't know anything about her past. 32 years after, another earthquake brought this family together in the most heart-wrenching scene ever. A daughter believed her mother had chosen his brother over her, and a mother who believed that her beloved daughter had died for 32 years. And the movie also depicted the unconditional love of an adopted family to the victim of the earthquake. 


Rating: 4 Radars

On another tone, I was really disappointed to spend time and money on The Green Hornet in Gold Class with my husband. I never thought the movie could be this bad. This is a movie about a son (Seth Rogen) of a newspaper mogul who wanted to be a badass but at the same time wanted to be a good guy (confuse confuse). First, what had the father done to him to make him hate the father so much until he decapitated the father's statue in the cemetery? Just because your father threw the head of your action figure into the dustbin, it doesn't mean that he's a jerk. Maybe you are a jerk! Then entered Kato (Jay Chou)... the father's mechanic. Apparently, he was also forced to make good coffee for the son -- that's why he hated his master so much? What a wuss!!  Then these two whiners plan to get some justice (for what?) and the series of stupidity continued.The movie plots were so weak I didn't know where to begin. A superhero who's not good at anything. A villain who's not good enough to be a badass. A sidekick who couldn't mutter anything correctly. Seriously folks, Jay Chou can't act in English!!!! Even one simple line he couldn't deliver properly. I could give him a break for his mother tongue is clearly NOT English but the acting....? who's going to defend you for THAT? Better stick to what you know best, watching movies and singing Chinese songs. You are not ready to take on Hollywood no matter how cool you think you are!
And please please please do not make The Green Hornet sequel..... I beg of you. 


Rating: 2 Radars

No comments:

Post a Comment