Monday, March 7, 2011

Dance With My Father


Dance with My Father by Luther Van Dross is such an impactful song, reminding a man about his father who'd already gone. "Back when I was a child, before life removed all the innocence, my father would lift me high and dance with my mother and me and the spend me around till I fell asleep. Then up the stairs he would carry me and I knew for sure I was loved...."  It's such a beautiful song with a beautiful lyrics.


The song touches my heart, reminding me of the experiences I'd never had. I was born and he left. I still have a father but it's better to leave it at that. I don't want to judge him for what he's done to us. I believe he has his own reasons, but at the same time I'm entitled to feel what I feel about him for I am his child. Every time a car passed by my house, God knew how I wished he'd come home to meet me, missing me, hugging me, telling me that he loves me. And most of the time, my heart broke into pieces and I was just a little girl, barely knew the meaning of reality. Birthdays were just numbers, my achievements in school were just normal, nobody even cared to congratulate. And as years gone by, I accepted the fact that I'll never recover those lost times with him and this heart succumbs to numbness.


People always say that independent is my strong suit but do I have a choice? When there's no wall to lean on, you only have your two feet to stand firm. 


My daughter's life is so different than mine. She is so lucky to have a father who cares so much about her, he could move the world to prove her that. Whatever he does, Tia is his center. In fact, this little girl drives him even more to achieve success. Love is so special, so abstract; you couldn't see it, you couldn't buy it but God knows you could feel it if it's there, if it's given, if it's shared. When a child kisses a father without being told to do so, that's love that comes from inside her. I love to see them together. The way my husband cares about his daughter really touches my heart. The way his heart melts when he sees his little princess is priceless. My girl is the luckiest person in the world, she doesn't even realize it yet. :)


Father is an important figure in one's family. Never underestimate the importance (of a father's love). Husband and wife could quarrel and argue til they turned blue but don't use the kids to punish any one of you. That's the greatest act of selfishness a human being could commit to the world. Don't think just because they are men, they don't have hearts, they don't have feelings, they don't love their kids. I have came across many couples who cut the fathers from their children, just because they can. You might hate the fathers but the children are forced to (be away from their fathers). And many kids don't dare to argue because they love you. 


I really appreciate the love my husband has for his little girl, how could I ever deny that love from both of them. To mothers who think that you can raise your children by yourselves, perhaps you can but there's no replacement for the need of a kid to love her father.  

No comments:

Post a Comment