Wednesday, March 9, 2011

BMI - Are You Kidding Me?


I am 37 years old and I am overweight. Well at least, that's what the BMI say. I scored 26.1 on the BMI index table, meaning that I need to lose quite a lot of kilos to maintain a normal weight. I do need to lose a few kilograms but I don't think I deserve to be labeled overweight!! And at this age, having a kid, I think I look okay!

Who invented this BMI? There are other factors that should be taken into consideration also i.e. age, quantity of kids, type of job, race, etc.... there must be some other determinants other than height and weight. This calculation is a very simple math, which I want to contest! To all the geniuses out there, please introduce a more complicated BMI, please. This BMI could cause stress and lost of self-confidence in many out there. 

As we grow older, our metabolism decreases. I consume like I used to when I was younger but the weight is hard to maintain now than ever. I don't want to go through life not enjoying food! That's crazy! I love good food. I do.

Nonetheless, I still do not take this fact lightly. I will try to reduce a few kilograms in the next few months but at the same time I don't want to be missing out on good food. I hope to be normal in June and somebody has to take care of the BMI calculation because as at today, the whole office is overweight! :P

Check your BMI here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment