Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Eat, Pray, Love: Did You Expect An Action Movie?


It's been such a long time since I watched a grown up movie and I'd been kinda waiting for this one to show. However, after reading tons of reviews in the Internet, I was a bit scared to watch. I like the book, I was afraid that the movie is going to screw it up. Haven't watched New Moon yet and most probably would not and I was utterly disappointed with Kite Runner, the movie. So, I went into the cinema, ready to be let down.


First of all, I found the husband of Liz in this movie rather too disconnected to her in every sense. Julia Roberts is huge and when you put her besides someone trivial, it's just awkward. If I were watching DVD, I'd fast forward whenever the husband appear, plus he's not good looking. Don't judge me, I have eyes. Perhaps, it's meant that way but I maintain that it's a casting mistake. After a rather stoic divorce request by Liz, entered James Franco as David, her love affair during her divorce process. And when everything else in her life didn't excite her (including sex with a 28 year old hottie) she's so afraid of being zombie-like and decided to take off to three different places, Italy to eat, India to pray and Bali to find love. Obviously she has money and for those who don't,  you can try local towns. 


What surprise me was the fact that there were 3 guys beside me watching this movie on a working day. What's up dudes? Your wives or girlfriends refuse to join you or you prefer to cry alone? They were in their complete office attire, I swear.


I wasn't exactly sure what's Liz looking for in her life or what's she afraid of. Afraid to forgive? Afraid to let go? Afraid of trusting? Not sure. Whatever they were, she had issues. If not, she wouldn't end up abroad for a year, looking for herself. I think people in the West prone to overthink stuff, as if their souls are always empty and they appear constantly wanting something. Thinking is good on the one hand but on the other, you can't find answers to everything. Life itself is an unplanned journey. Though your parents may have planned to have you, YOU itself was the result of something random. If it's well planned out, God would tell you your mate(s) name(s) or deliver you your date of death somewhere along your life. 


And for those who trashed this movie like nobody's business, why did you watch it in the first place? If you are into action movies, James Franco would not be Spiderman's nemesis in this one. Javier Bardem would not kill even an ant in this movie. He's crying so hard when his 19-yr old son left for college. This is a movie about a woman's journey in discovering her (love) life. First of all, most guys would stay out of the way. Second, most girls would not want to torture their guys for 2 hours plus. Third, at the end of the day, life would work out fine when the writer is a woman (unless it's a japanese writer, I can't be certain) :)


All in all, I found myself liking the movie and thinking that Ketut would take a plane someday to Hollywood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment