Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Will My Daughter Look Up to Me For Life's Lessons?

I'm amazed to see women who always know what to do when it comes to taking care of their beauty, and believe me it's not easy, particularly when you don't have the skills to do it. Were they taught by their mothers, they learned from their peers or they just knew how to do it? How do they keep good skin? How do they do nice make up? How do they keep their legs nice and shaved all the time? 

When I was in college, I had a friend who always took an orange daily and her skin was flawless. There were also some friends who applied bedak sejuk every night, making you believe that you had seen ghosts in your lifetime. Some like to use strictly tissue to wipe their faces, no wet towel allowed. I don't have any tips, go with the flow but the results also have been very discouraging. 

I have no advice/tips on how to keep good skin or any other beauty advice to transfer the knowledge to my daughter; this worries me-lah. Should I combine all the tips that I know people do and tell her? Or I should let her figure it out herself? My daughter is so vain, I don't think she could take it if a zit pops up on her sweet little face. Haha! And she keeps asking me to drink a lot of plain water..to keep the dots (zits) away.

As a mother, I think my daughter will look up to me for life's advice. And I think mothers nowadays are lacking in domestic skills. If you disagree, you can do this simple test.
  • List down the name of dishes that you cook really well. By really well I mean, at least 2 people have tasted it and gave great reviews.
  • Do you know how to wash silk, linen, crepe, etc? 
  • What are the secrets to keep your white shirts white?
  • How to deal with ripped dress? 
  • Do you know how to make rendang by your self without any help?
  • How to keep your skin soft? 
  • Do you know how to iron a work shirt?
  • How to shave your legs and not having those after-shave itch?
If you know all the answers, you can tell me also because I don't think I'm skilled enough as a mother. I could imagine one day my daughter would call me to ask about something and I would be lost for words. Where could I learn all the tips and tricks? Read? Any titles that offer tips about life, recommend it to me okay.

I want my daughter to lean on me for answers on life's questions. Ma, how to do that? how to do this? But I figured as I'm approaching 4-0, there are many things that I still don't know myself. My late mother used to hand wash our gebor (blanket) white and crisp, I have my respect for her so much in that area. When she scrapped the pots and pans, everything turned out shiny like new. When I felt down a bike and hurt my knee, she made her own medicine using tumeric and cooking oil to ease the pain. She never brought me to hospitals/clinics when I felt sick, home remedies were always her choice.

Maybe I don't try my best yet or maybe my life right now doesn't need me to be domestically intelligent. Got to find more information, I've got to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment